1x09: The Starting Pitstop

Jeremy Garcia, Stuart Langridge, Bryan Lunduke, and Jono Bacon wend their troublesome ways down the road of:

• We weigh in on the upstart/systemd brouhaha in Debian and discuss what happened, why it happened, and whether it was a good thing or not.
  • Bryan reviews the Lenovo Miix 2 tablet and we get into the nitty gritty of what you can do with it.
  • We take a trip down memory lane about how we each got started with Linux, which distributions we used, and who helped us get on our journey.
  • We take a recap and look at community feedback about guns, 3D printing, predictions, Bad Voltage gaming, the Bad Voltage Selfie Competition and more, all making an appearance.

Also, be sure to join in the Bad Voltage Selfie Competition to win some free O’Reilly books!

Download the show now!

One correction: I started off using SCO UNIX, not SCO Linux (which for some reason I said not once, but twice).

–jeremy

Long time LUG radio lurker here. Really enjoying the show! Thanks all for your efforts, it’s got a great rhythm to it and it’s great to hear @jonobacon and @sil back on argumentative form!

I’m a huge fan of your review format, the music in the background is a nice touch! Although I’ve had trouble hearing the speaker over some of the background vocals in a couple of places (not in this ep though I don’t think).

Also - It can’t be just me that thinks this, but @bryanlunduke is basically just Ron Burgundy right?

1 Like

Now, I was going to ask about that, but I just figured I didn’t even know that SCO had done Linux back then, and thought “cor, plus ça change, eh?”

Thanks for the kind comments about the show @eightbitraptor, glad you are enjoying it!

Yeah, we had a few people say this so I am dialing down the background music a little to make it easier to hear the reviewer. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

The takeaway from this episode? The Linux community can have a reasoned and rational debate about gun control and proliferation… no problem. Suggest a change to the Debian boot daemons… death threats are issued.

3 Likes

My nickname is most certainly awesome :smiley: Was a childhood nickname which some people still call me by today. In high school there was a rumor that it was because (pardon the vulgarity) my d*ck came down to my ankles. You can imagine I got lots of attention, both wanted and unwanted, from the ladies and unfortunately some dudes as well :expressionless: .

Yep thats linux community in a nutshell, well anything that makes my linux desktop quicker and less crappy gets my vote.

Wow, you too? We must be brothers. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In a nutshell.

Also my post must be 20 characters long. So I am typing all of this. Because this forum software is dumb and doesn’t appreciate brevity.

Awesome show. My Linux journey sounds a lot like @jeremy. Just replace SCO with Xenix. I switched off to Slackware in 1995 and later went to using Red Hat, but never really had the whole Windows experience, which is probably a good thing :smile:

It appreciates content instead. :wink:

How come your ankles are 2 inches from your pelvis. You look taller on the internet??

2 Likes

People are as tall as they want on the internet. Believe nothing.

Any chance you can link to that systemd-upstart article you referred to during the podcast? I tried Arch out of curiousity about the systemd brouhaha (and ended up staying with Arch). I don’t know if the difference was Arch or systemd but my systems boot up so much faster than with Slackware.

If you mean the excellent post from Russ Allbery, it is at Re: Bug#727708: Removal of Ian Jackson from TC

So then I have nothing to worry about! I can’t seem to post a reply shorter than about 3 pages!

Both. As a fellow Archer (for the last 3-4 years now) I can say that the transition from system V to systemd was a bit hairy. But doing a fresh install with systemd is pretty slick.

We’re all civilized, rational people (well, except @jonobacon and @sil, they’re just heathens) here, until you start messing with our software. I’ve learned many things in my fairly short career in tech. People (read me) really need to stop caring about being the one to come up with the right solution, and start worrying about finding what works best. (Read, stop with the ‘Not Invented Here’ bullshit)

On another topic, BadVoltage wonderfully comes out on the same weeks that I make my run to the transfer station (we don’t have trash pickup way up here), and you guys are always my go-to show for the ride. I nearly died laughing when @sil lit into @bryanlunduke for turing his tablet into a laptop and calling it a good tablet. I might have to find a safer time to listen, for the sake of the other drivers here in Maine.

Once again, 3 page response.

Yeah, that was hilarious! I listen on the train home and I’m sure the entire car was staring at me wondering what I was laughing so loudly about!

It’s also the reason I don’t have a tablet yet, because I like to have a real keyboard. I figure for the price of a decent tablet I can get an good laptop.

That was a good post. I didn’t know much about the controversy (apart from the less than flattering things said about Lennart Poettering on the Slackware lists). This was a good summary and a good reminder of how massive open source projects have to work to ultimately be successful.

I used Tiny Core Linux for a while, which was born out the fire that was DSL. TCL is great, but I imagine it would be much further a long if so much time hadn’t been wasted during the final days of DSL.